Amb. (Dr.) Dickson A. O. Akoh
Amb. (Dr) Dickson A. O. Akoh, FCITr, FCPA, FNSIS the Founder and Pioneer National Commandant of Peace Corps of Nigeria, was born in Dordan Barracks, Obalende, Lagos State, on the 10th of July, 1973, to the family of Mr. Simon A. Ojonye, a retired Army Warrant Officer. Perhaps it was growing up in a military barracks, amid the grim prevalence of the debilitating effects of war, that molded Dr Akoh’s personality into a sterling apostle of peace. Along with Dr Akoh’s desire to promote peaceful coexistence, is his unremitting passion for youth development. In his opinion, the undeveloped, disempowered and idle youth is a potential threat to the peace of any community.
Considering his humble beginnings, Dr Akoh’s towering achievements are clear testimonies of his focus, courage and determination, and of course, the grace and mercy of God to which he ascribes all his successes. Currently, he is largely acclaimed as Nigeria’s leading Personal Achievement Strategist; yet, he claims that his life-journey has just started, with several territories awaiting his conquest.
Dr Akoh had cut his teeth on Leadership, Citizenship and Volunteerism quite early in life. He was a Troop Leader with the Boys Scout Movement and also served as a Zonal Leader for the Nigerian Red Cross in Benue State. Dr Akoh also had a 4-year stint with the Army Cadet Corps in Kaduna. He has attended several National and International Youth Seminars, Workshops and Camps, where he acquired numerous certificates and experiences in policy-making, especially as it affects the youth.
In his unquenchable zest for further knowledge, Amb. Akoh earned a B.Sc. (Hons) Degree in Sociology from the University of Abuja, and was conferred with a Doctor of Philosophy (Humanities), by the Commonwealth University, Belize, South America.
Furthermore, Dr Akoh is an expert in the fields of Security and Safety Measures, Peace Education and Conflict Resolution, Patriotism and Nation Building, Leadership and Citizenship Training. He is a member of the Conflict Resolution Stakeholders Network (CRESNET), among other notable national and international partnership organizations.
A recipient of over Sixty (60) Awards/Honours from different reputable national and international organizations, Dr Akoh holds the following awards, among many others:
- Institute of Chartered Trustees: Fellowship Award;
- Methodist Church, Nigeria: Merit Award;
- Ugboju Progressive Association: Integrity Award;
- Teachers Without Borders: MDG Ambassador;
- Youth Federation for World Peace: Youth Ambassador for Peace;
- West African Student Union: MDG Ambassador;
- African Youth Society: Merit Award;
- Centre for Democratic Governance in Africa: Fellow Award and Service Medal;
- National Leadership Award, Award of Exemplary Leadership;
- International Biographical Centre, Cambridge, London: International Presidential Award for Iconic Achievements;
- International Biographical Centre, Cambridge, London: Associate Member of the Centre;
- Chartered Institute of Global Communication and Diplomacy: Fellow;
- Catholic Church of Nigeria: Fellow of Holy Cross; and
- Institute for Security Intelligence Studies: Fellow.
Also, in recognition of his sterling leadership qualities and contributions to humanity, he was conferred with Chieftaincy titles amongst which are:
- Idoma Traditional Council: Oyachaba K’Idoma (The Great Achiever)
- Ugboju Area Traditional Council in Idoma Kingdom of Benue State: Ogigo’mebe (Traditional Mirror) of Ugboju Land;
- Igala Traditional Council, Kogi State: Attah Ojah (Father of All) of Ankpa Kingdom;
- Okoho Nankwa Clan Council, Calabar South in Cross River State: Musuma Uwa Mususu-Efut; and
- Nkwere in Imo State: Nwanne di na Mba (There is Brotherhood in Diaspora).
In further recognition of Dr Akoh’s landmark strides, he holds the following awards, among others:
- Lifetime Peace Ambassador Award
- Pan African Footprint Prize in leadership Excellence and Development
- Award of Special Recognition by Niger Delta Youth Leaders Award
- Dr. Kwame Nkrumah Award for Excellence in Leadership by Nkrumah-Vanguard-Movement
- King of Peace by Welfare Peace & Universal Human Rights Initiative
- Award of Excellence and Commendation by Catholic Youth Organization of Nigeria
- Rural Watch Peace Award
- Icon of Greater Nigeria / Life Grand Patronship by Arewa Consultative Youth Assembly
- Africa’s Meritorious Service Award by African Leadership Transparency Initiative
- The Defender of The masses by Law Students Association of Nigeria, National Open University
- Award of Recognition by Association of Nigerian Authors
Presently, Dr Akoh is the Chairman, Board of Trustees of the National Youth Council of Nigeria, which is the umbrella body of all voluntary youth organizations in Nigeria. His hobbies include playing lawn tennis, reading, traveling, listening to good music, socializing and making friends. Dr Akoh currently resides in Abuja with his family.